Are you preparing for School Group Travel Abroad?
There are many exciting opportunities for students to gain international experience while working towards their degree or for high school student groups going abroad on short school trips. Many universities provide either an exchange program or field school, as well as short-term summer programs. If you wish to spend one or more terms on an external program such as volunteering overseas, international employment, school group travel, international Co-op, etc., it is critical to making preparations, such as obtaining a travel medical coverage. In this article, we will provide seven tips for students and school group leaders when preparing for a short or long-term trip overseas.
Tips for Students and School Leaders
- Vaccination is critical for school group travel overseas. Many universities require standard immunization before arriving, especially for students who come from countries identified as having more infectious diseases and outbreaks. If your school group is visiting the USA, you may be required to complete a TB screening test.
- Research your destination country for travel advisories and healthcare facilities. No matter where your school tour intends to travel, make sure you check the Travel advisory sites before you leave. This is because a travel advisory may affect your travel health insurance. In some regions, healthcare facilities may be limited. It is critical to understand any terms and conditions in your insurance policy for medical claims made for injuries in your destination country.
- When selecting a travel medical insurance plan, you should make sure that the plan provides continuous coverage for the duration of your stay. It is also essential to check whether the plan pays for foreign hospitalization and provides the up-front payment of bills.
- Be sure to obtain an emergency medical plan with a 24-hour/7-day emergency contact number in your language for health care providers in your destination country. Medical evacuation coverage is critical, especially in regions where medical care is not up to first world standards. Ensure that your medical insurance provides coverage for medical evacuation to the nearest location with appropriate medical care from your destination.
- Preparing your school members for travel is essential, so it makes sense to plan ahead and also bring a first-aid kit. Travelers with any chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure or other problems need to carry medications with you on your trip. Moreover, it is always recommended to bring an extra prescription in case you want to extend your trip or have a delay.
- Regardless of where you are going, you school members should always carry your prescription copies, allergy medication, antibiotic ointment (for more remote areas), sunscreen, etc. It is recommended that students consult a healthcare professional for some extras you should carry if heading to more remote regions or areas.
Bring Student Group Travel Medical Insurance with You
And finally, with appropriate planning before a school group trip, your students enjoy their travels abroad without worrying about the costs associated with dealing with the unexpected injury or illness while on your tour. Expat Financial is a key resource for students who are going abroad to travel, attend a foreign university or volunteer for up to 1 year for emergency medical expenses. Here are two travel medical insurance plans that we can provide to students living outside the USA:
- Group Travel Medical Insurance Plans for School Groups over five lives from IMG
- Individual Travel Medical Insurance from IMG for non-US citizens
- Travel Medical Insurance for Canadian students who will retain their provincial medical coverage
For students who are studying abroad and require a global medical insurance plan, we offer several international health insurance plans from several global medical insurance providers which are perfectly suited to studying abroad and offer excellent rates for young students, but not school members who are based in the USA.
Check out our international student health insurance plan and discuss with us your student health insurance requirements today. If your overseas education facility would like to discuss offering a plan for its students or even the expatriate staff, please contact us to discuss a group plan.