International Disability Insurance for Expatriates
Most financial experts agree, protecting your ability to earn an income should be considered a priority. We broker several plans from the marketplace. One such plan is provided by William Russell Limited and called the Global Income Protection plan, underwritten by AWP Health & Life S.A, which is part of the Allianz Group and administered by William Russell Limited. It is specially designed to provide income replacement protection for individual expatriates around much of the world. This plan is part of William Russell’s Global Protection plan range, which also offers Global Life and Accident insurance. Read more about William Russell by clicking here.
The protection plans that William Russel Limited offers are generally not available to local nationals, or to expatriates living in Iran, North Korea, Libya, South Sudan, Syria, or Yemen or to individuals who will be resident in Lebanon, Switzerland, USA or Venezuela. This is subject to change by provider/insurer.
Expats from the USA or elsewhere residing in another country are eligible to apply if they can provide proof that they live abroad. Should you become disabled and unable to work, you have real peace of mind knowing that if your salary stops, William Russell’s Global Income Protection plan can replace much of your lost income, after a 3- or 6-month waiting period as per the plan terms and conditions. Learn more about William Russell Limited.
Protect your most important asset – your ability to earn an income!
- You may be able to cover up to 80% of your annual income with an overall maximum of US$144,000 for individual clients and up to $200,000 per member for group plans.
- William Russell also offers Global Life and Accident Insurance.
- Benefits and premiums can be paid in Pounds Sterling (£), Euros (€) or US Dollars ($).
- When you apply you choose when you would like the benefit to begin to be paid during a claim (3- or 6-month waiting period), and how much cover you require.
- William Russell can accept new joiners up to age 60 for Income cover with members aged 61-64 on a renewal basis only. Please note the new joiner age limits only apply on individual plans and groups can include new members up to age 64 although the Income cover would still cease at age 65.
- Cover continues right through to age 65, normal retirement date, if earlier, recovery, or on your return to work. Subject to William Russell’s plan agreement.
- In the event of a valid and approved claim, your benefit payments will increase by 2% compound annually.
- Once the expat disability insurance plan is in force, if you return to your home country of citizenship you may be able to continue to renew your cover provided that the local laws in your country permit you to do so, and provided that cover is available in that country. Note that coverage can’t be continued if you are a US national and you return to America permanently.
- Benefit payments are made monthly once you have been off work for your chosen waiting period.
- Premiums are age banded and will increase on annual renewal.
- If your inability to work lasts more than 24 months, page 8 and onwards of the Global Income Protection plan agreement requires proof of you being unable to return to any form of gainful activity for which training, education and experience would qualify you. If this is the case, benefits of disability insurance for individuals will continue to be paid until you are able to return to work, you reach age 65, or upon death (whichever is soonest).
There is no cover at all for any time in the following countries (regardless of whether this is permanent or temporary):
Iran, North Korea, Libya, South Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
William Russell would be unable to offer you cover if you are currently resident in, or planning to be resident in, any of these countries. If you are an existing client who moves to one of these countries your cover will cease.
In addition, they are also unable to offer new plans to individuals who are resident in certain other countries as follows:
Lebanon, Switzerland, USA and Venezuela.
You would be covered for temporary trips to any of these countries, but they will not be able to offer insurance if you are in one of these countries when the plan starts. Once the policy is in place, if you moved to one of these countries, they would confirm whether it would be possible to continue your insurance once they are notified. For regulatory reasons, if you moved to Switzerland permanently, the cover would cease at your next renewal following your move, likewise, if you are a US national and you return to America permanently the plan will also cease at your next renewal (although non-US nationals may be able to continue the insurance upon referral).
Due to the current unrest in the region, plans are also not available in Russia, Ukraine or Belarus.
The insurance plans also include standard restrictions to the cover if you are in a country or region that the British Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (“FCDO”) has advised its citizens to leave, or has advised against all travel to, or has advised against all but essential travel to, due to security reasons (whether your presence in that country or region is permanent or temporary). If you are in a higher risk location (either permanently or for a temporary trip), it is always worth contacting the team to see how your insurance cover might be impacted.
You can check the current advice offered by the FCO about a specific country or region at the following web address: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/.
There is no cover at all for disablement if you are in Iran, North Korea, Libya, South Sudan, Syria or Yemen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
Answer: As an individual, you must be under age 70 when you apply for a Global Life plan, and under age 61 when you apply for a Global Income Protection plan. You can renew your Global Life plan up to age 70 and cover would cease at renewal following your 70th birthday. Your Global Income Protection plan will cease on your 65th birthday.
Certain occupations may not be able to be covered by the plan or may have loadings applied to the premium if they are not 100% office-based.
Note that US citizens living in USA or people living in their country of citizenship are not able to apply or be covered by these plans.
Answer: Please view and download the plan terms and conditions above in Adobe Reader format for full exclusion and plan details.
How much does it cost?
Answer: Simply go to our quote page and let us know your name, citizenship, location, occupation, date of birth, income, waiting period and currency requested. We will then email you a quote and you can then fax, post or email the application to our office or email it directly to William Russell if you decide to proceed.
Who are Allianz AWP Health & Life S.A?
Answer: AWP Health & Life S.A, an EEA insurer registered in France, are part of the Allianz Group. With nearly 155,000 employees worldwide, the Allianz Group serves approximately 75 million customers in about 70 countries. On the insurance side, Allianz is the market leader in the German market and has a strong international presence.
Continuing your cover when you return to your home country?
Answer: If you return to your home country you may continue to renew your cover provided that the local laws in your home country permit you to do so and that William Russell Limited are permitted to offer cover in that country. William Russell reserves the right to refuse to offer cover in certain countries. Your home country is the country of which you hold a passport as submitted to William Russell at the time of your application.
Returning to the United States of America?
Answer: If your home country is the USA, your cover will automatically terminate from the renewal date following your permanent return to the USA.
How do I Apply?
Answer: Once you are ready to proceed, simply print and complete an application form and email it through to William Russell or forward it to TFG Global Insurance Solutions Ltd – Online Application FORM. If you prefer to complete the form electronically, you can choose to complete it through the web form provided you have entered your name on the form where requested to sign. In conjunction with the electronically completed form, William Russell will also require an email from you which contains the following copy: “I, [your name], have signed the form myself, and I am happy to be bound by the terms of the plan/agreement attached to this email.” This needs to be sent from the same email address as stated on the application form but can be sent either direct to William Russell or to TFG Global Insurance Solutions Ltd to forward on your behalf.
Once William Russell receives your completed form, they will advise you of the medical requirements. If you need to have a medical, it can usually be done locally, provided the doctor holds recognized qualifications and can complete the report in English. If a medical examination is required, William Russell will reimburse you towards the cost, once your policy is in force.
If you are interested in learning more, have questions or would like a quotation? There are 3 ways to apply.
Send us a detailed outline of what you require and any other special quests that you may have.
c/o TFG Global Insurance Solutions Ltd.,
#1500 – 701 West Georgia Street
V7Y 1C6 Canada
Note: Some of the products and services described or advertised on this site may not be available to residents of certain jurisdictions, depending on regulatory constraints, including Canada and the U.S. Please contact Expat Financial for more information about your specific jurisdiction. The above coverage is not available to local nationals resident in their home country. The plan is governed by the terms, conditions and exclusions set out in the Global Protection Plan Agreement, and any conditions contained in this document.